I upgraded to WordPress 2.3.1 last week and for the most part, all seemed to go well. Even though I’m not actually displaying any tags for my posts yet, I wanted to get upgraded quickly so that I could start working on generating tags for new and old posts. It’s going to be a lot of back-breaking labor to get caught up (okay fine, slight exaggeration).
I noticed a couple of days ago that when I tried to post to the site using the Textmate blogging bundle, I was getting the following error at the top of the window.
Received exception:Missing return value!
Normally when you post successfully from TextMate, all sorts of metadata is appended to the top of you post in TextMate, including the permalink for the post. It also automatically opens a new tab to the post in your web browser.
When I started getting this error both the permalink appending and web browser page opening functions stopped working. Oddly enough, the entry was still actually posted to my blog. I immediately assumed that this error had something to do with the new tagging features and that maybe the TextMate blogging bundle wasn’t quite up to snuff. No problem, Google to the rescue.
Amazingly, my Google searches turned up almost nothing useful on the subject. Eventually, I recovered one tiny little detail using “wordpress 2.3 xmlrpc error” as my search term.
The solution appears in a comment by Daniel Jalkut on the Red Sweater Blog.
…my first reaction when I see that kind of vague error is that a plugin in your WordPress installation is incompatible with WP 2.3. By any chance are you running the Google Sitemap Generator plugin? Itâ€™s one that has been identified by a few users as needing update after going to 2.3. See:
If youâ€™re not running that, it could be another plugin. Generally the â€œXML-RPC Response Parsing Failedâ€ happens when some plugin causes the entire fetch to fail, so WordPress just returns a blank response instead of an XML document.
While the error in question was actually somewhat different than mine, I do in fact use the Google Sitemap plugin. I disabled the plugin and tried posting again. Bingo, problem solved.
UPDATE: The version of the Google Sitemap plugin that was giving me this problem was 2.7.1. My WordPress install indicated that there wasn’t an update for this plugin, but when I actually went to the site I found that there was one. The new version is 3.0.1 and seems to work fine. The admin interface also looks much better.