extortr

Identity Theft

Panic Attack

I’ve been working for quite some time on a new image for our lab computers. Today I was finishing up some last minute touches before I made version 3. I noticed that there was this Unix Executable File in the /Library/Application Support folder called SilentPlayer.

Now, I don’t know about you, but I’ve never seen that before and it sounds pretty ominous to me. So, I opened up Terminal and started checking it out. For all intensive purposes, the file seemed blank. So, I did a quick search for it and here’s what I found:

As it turns out, this is some sort of weird Macromedia file (the serial # in the resource fork follows the patterns of Macromedia serials). I deleted it. But now I’m just scratching my head wondering what the hell they were thinking by creating a file like that. Are they trying to give me a panic attack?

Flock Spellchecker

I started using Flock this week to try it out. So far, I really like all of it’s interactive features. I’m particularily partial to the blog posting feature (which happens to be the reason I finally decided to try it out).

I still think it needs some work to be competitive in the plain old vanilla browser market. As far as OSX goes, I’d still prefer Safari over Flock for browsing. I suspect that I’d also prefer Firefox on a PC to Flock, but I haven’t gotten around to setting it up yet.

I decided to spellcheck my previous post (left to my own devises, I’m a horrendous speller). I just couldn’t resist the irony of the word the Blog Post spellchecker picked up as not existing in its dictionary.

Screenshot of Flock Blog Post spellchecker picking up the word blog

I need a new blog design

I really need to make a new design for this blog. It’s driving me crazy to look at. It’s a total mess. The original plan was to start from a template because knowing me, I could have spent months perfecting a design. The template was a good start, but soon enough the “decidedly not me or my design factor” started bugging me.

So I started changing things gradually. Replace abstract banner with one of my photos, trade in bubbly thingys for skateboard icons, add some dark gray, and so on. The result, although a bit more personal, turns out to be kind of an unplanned mess with random elements that don’t fit (see curly background wave at top right). I can’t help but feeling like I somehow obliterated poor Dan Cederholm’s TicTac template.

There’s an easy solution to all this. I just have to make a new design. Trouble is, that takes a lot of time and energy. I did manage to make one attempt, but the idea just didn’t come at as interesting as I had imagined it. It looks clunky. So back to square one.

In the mean time, I feel really drawn to the design for Khoi Vinh’s Subtraction. I love the grid, the color (or lack thereof), the columns and the way the page gets stretched horizontally.



appointive
appointive
appointive
appointive